Friday, September 21, 2012

The BLOG 5 Awards: Artistic, Style, Journalistic, Educator, Newbie

Today, seven of us will be awarding the BLOG 5 Awards through a blog hop linky. Here's how it works. Myself and my 6 co-hosts (Kashmira, Janice, Gloria, Alicia, Christine and Therese) will each be giving our awards on our blogs; you can find links to each of our blogs on the linky below (or the links above). We've chosen bloggers who we believe best represent one of the 5 categories. When a blogger is given one of the awards, we are inviting them to join the hop and continue building a linky group of awarded bloggers. 

So sit back, grab your favorite beverage ... be that coffee, tea or perhaps a lovely glass of wine, and visit a fantastic list of bloggers. You might just find a favorite new one you didn't know was out there. Now, let's get started! 

EDUCATOR:
There is a blog I try to never miss each week; Duni's Studio. She is an amazing seamstress and crafter extraordinaire. She is regularly showing her readers just how she does it. I tell you, I can't sew worth a darn, but it makes no difference --- I love her blog. It is wonderfully written; she peppers it with all kinds of fun stuff like setting a gorgeous afternoon tea complete with recipes. And of course she's made the table cloth, the decorations, the cake, the cards, and likely the party favors for the guests including the gift box it came in. She is simply amazing.

A second blog that I have more recently been following Erin Siegel's. It's not a new blog, and it most certainly has many, many followers. In fact she just published one of my favorite new books: Bohemian Inspired Jewelry. Anyone who follows my blog knows how much I like Boho, and this book has become my 'go-to' book. It is on my bead table most days. What I've noticed most about Erin is just how much she enjoys teaching, sharing her ideas and helping people learn how to improve their craft. I'm sure many of you already follow her, and know her. But she absolutely deserves an award like this.

JOURNALISTIC:
There are two blogs that I only recently started following, but it is like a good book you just can't put down. I'm always scrolling through my blogger list to see if either of these two blogs have a new post: Introverted Art and Life on Peanut Layne

Peanut Layne is one of the most hilarious writers I've come across in awhile. I am usually laughing and snorting over my cup of tea on Saturday mornings with the rest of my family wanting to hear what's up. The last time it was this post on grocery stores. Her motto "providing laughter, entertainment and permanent birth control to the entire neighborhood." She had me on the floor laughing with a post on come backs for dumb questions people ask about why she had so many kids.

If you prefer to ponder deep questions, then try Introverted Art. It is an intellectual forum infused with beautiful artwork that she creates --- and that usually matches the theme of her discussion. She gets quite a lively debate going on midlife crisis, fear of dyingintolerancebad managers in the work force. Pretty much nothing is off limits. I love how she writes, how she serves up a topic and how she does it in a way to spark a lively debate and not a rant. She's got quite a gift.

ARTISTIC:
I have complete photo envy when I look at Alchemy of Art. Visually this site is stunning. The photography captures moments and colors in time. And the macro shots are freak'n amazing! Not only is the photography outstanding, but then there is the beadwork. Oh come on now ... you're killing me. Fantastic, intricate beadwork that is shot in an ultra-macro style. Seriously, if you haven't yet been to this site you've got to check it out.

Another artist's work that I absolutely love to see is MoonflyGirl. I could come back day, after day and just marvel at how she turns old pottery shards from the banks of the Thames into gorgeous bezeled jewelry. The term is called mudlarking, which comes from the 18th-19th centuries for Londoners who would scavenges river mud for items of value to resell. Have I mentioned that I'm a sucker for history? She will bring back a pile of what looks like bits and pieces of a lost time and shapes them into stunning, unique charms, pendants, bezels ... complete with metal work she also does. Lately she's been creating 'Owlies' . Love these little guys.

One blog that gives me constant inspiration is Beadsong Jewelry. Bobbie's work is beautiful, but she is also one of the hardest working artists out there. She has been 'on the road' to bead shows for months, and living through disastrous circumstances, hot as the 'hinges of hell' weather, and taking it all in stride. Her stamina is awe inspiring. She has such a wonderful outlook on this crazy beady world, and a wicked sense of humor that seems to keep her going. A recent post where she is passing on the honor of a blogger award shows her quirky side, and apparently just how much she hates to hem a pair of pants. Her list of bead artists is well worth a look. Check it out.

STYLE:
It goes without saying for those that follow my blog that I am a huge fan of the blog Fashionadictas. So much to love with Marcela's style. While on the surface it is fashion in it's purest sense ... a runway. What Marcela has done is truly unique; she has blended the fabrics, style, colors and the feeling of a runway show with the emotion, movement and colors of art. It always amazes me to see how she puts her posts together. 

Mona's Picturesque is such a beautiful blog in so many ways. The photography is simple, lush and emotional. I just love it. She takes pictures of the beautiful Finnish countryside, of the wild flowers and of her two gorgeous girls. I mean, you can just imagine the giggles of these girls in the pictures --- they are that good! I think the mother-daughter moments are my favorite part of her blog. You sort of feel like you've walked into a private moment. It is captivating.

NEWBIE:
There are some great new bloggers out there, and so my co-hosts and I wanted to be sure to point a few of them out in case you haven't yet had the chance to stop by their blogs.

Let's start with Marla from Spice Box Designs, someone who embodies the saying 'looking for the silver-lining.' She has such a great attitude, and is always up for trying something new. Her blog is a mix of beautiful beadwork and everyday inspiration on life. This blogger has serious beadweaving talents, a heart the size of Texas (or Mississippi --- her home state) and just lights up any beady challenge. I love to see her name on the list.

Another new favorite blog of mine is Sexta-feira, written by an English teacher in Greece who does the kind of travel I wish I could do! She provides a plethora of reviews on movies, music, concerts ... and American TV? But, she had me at 'hello' with her post of one of her Greek Island excursions. Can you even imagine if this were your view? It is a really well done blog, and she's been stacking up the blogger awards! So here is one more for your collection.

I want to mention just one more of my new favorite blogs: Cheapskate Blethering. I'm really enjoying her tips and recipes, and her dog is seriously cute. But what I like most is her writing style. It's fun to read, really informative and makes me laugh. All good in my opinion.

THE BLOG HOP RULES: there are no rules, but we do have some suggestions. These awards were designed to point out some of the great blogs out there. And you can choose to pass on your award to as few, or as many as you like. So if you've been tapped on the shoulder and given one of these awards, we would love to see you display it proudly on your blog. Join the blog hop and show off that lovely blog of yours. We would, of course, love to hear why you like to blog, and why you chose a fellow blogger for an award. So let's get hopping!
 

19 comments:

  1. Holy. Cow. I am completely stunned and humbled. But you better believe I'm gonna print this out and show it to my parents and anyone else who will stand still long enough for me to say "can you freaking believe this??!?" What a treat to be included with these awesome blogs! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I am going to follow on Bobbie footsteps, print it and show it to my parents too!!!!!!!!!! This is absolutely amazing and such a beautiful and humbling perspective in what I thought were my weekly rants ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Thanks so much! Your words really warmed my heart! And reminded me that I need to start blogging more often. I am so behind on even reading my blogs at this point. Poor Google Reader says I have about 400 to read. Yep I am soooo behind. Thanks again for including me! <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to take a look before bed~I just had to!!! What a wonderful list of absolutely beautiful blogs! I cruised them all and will do so again come the morning, with coffee and a fresh pair of eyes. Thank You Cynthia, for such a fun event!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you, Cynthia - this was a wonderful journey. I now have extra to read every day, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh goodness, thank you so much Cynthia, you have NO idea how much this lifted my spirits and made me smile! You are such a sweetheart!

    Now I'm off to visit the blogs (at least the ones I don't already follow) and I'll post about (and share) the award on Monday.

    Thank you again and have a wondrous weekend! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!
    I'm so grateful, not only for the award per se, but also for the time you took to present my blog! Thank you so much for all your kind words!

    I love this idea and I'm going to post about it as soon as possible!

    Thanks again, you made my day! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOVED your picks...I still have to go through them all, but what i have read so far are excellent :) And I love how diverse the topics are!

    Thank you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my goodness! What an amazing post to wake up to on a rainy Saturday morning :)
    I feel extremely honoured to be amongst your chosen ones! Plus I'm happily surprised to be thought of as an educator! Thank you so much, Cynthia, for your super kind words about me and my blog. You've made my day!!
    That picture of the adorable two girls had me giggling - it's so precious! Peanut Layne sounds like a fun blog too - must check it out!
    Thank you!!!

    ReplyDelete

  10. Thank you very much for your lovely words,dear friend!!! Beautiful idea!!!
    Although I am a painter and art is my thing... I love being a style blog!!!
    I hope to visit all these wonderful blogs...
    Besos, desde España, Marcela♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh my ♥ You have made me SO happy! Thank you dear! This is beyond awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm thrilled to have been found by you blog hoppers! Such a great idea and a way for everyone to connect. I'm new to "really" blogging and still learning all the ins and outs of blogger (like how to leave a live link) but I'll get it, with enough practice I'll get it then I may be dangerous,lol
    :)
    kim

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh my goodness! Thank you so much for awarding my blog. It is an honor and I'm flattered and grateful. Thank you for your kind words and I apologize I just saw your comment on my blog this evening. I was away this weekend attending ArtBLISS retreat doing guess what? Teaching a class and selling my jewelry tutorials, kits and supplies! So, I guess your award is appropriate. LOL! I love what I do and it sure is nice to be recognized for it and appreciated! You made me smile and You've made me feel so good about what I'm doing and maybe I am on the right path. Thank you for that! Looking forward to coming back to your post and checking out some the other blogs you've featured here.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you so much! You are so kind!I'm going all red and blushy :-)
    I've never done a blog hop before, I'll have to see if I understand the instructions...
    XXX

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been traveling this weekend but, what a sweet treat to come home to!!! Thanks so much for your kind words. I'm honored!
    xo ~ Anna

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Cynthia, I am back home now and hopping the award blog hop. I enjoyed doing this hop and I also enjoyed reading about the blogs that you awarded these awards to. Thanks for coming up with this idea it was a lot of fun.
    Therese

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh I just popped over from Blethering's site and to say congratulations.
    You have a very interesting site and I have read some of your nominated blogs like Introverted Art but will check out the rest. The blogger world is full of so many talented bloggers and I look forward to reading new ones. B

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cynthia, what a fantastic idea! I really like how you have recognized some of your favorite bloggers and shared specifically why they were chosen - great categories. I visited everyone you linked to, my what talent, from photography to painting and cooking. Thanks for sharing a bunch of new-to-me blogs!

    ReplyDelete

AntiquityTravelers on Etsy